City of Durham Trust Plaques

    • James Finlay Weir Johnston (1796-1855), agricultural chemist and mineralogist, founded a grammar school in Durham in 1825, which later merged with other local schools to form Durham Johnston Comprehensive School – 56 Claypath
    • Sir Ove Arup (1895-1988), structural engineer and architect, designer of Kingsgate Bridge (1963), and structural engineer and architectural advisor for Dunelm House (1965) – Dunelm House, New Elvet
    • Drury Lane, site of a theatre 1771-1791 – Saddler Street
    • Neptune, originally erected in 1729, in the centre of the Market Place on a contemporary stone pant (public water fountain / wellhead) – Market Place
    • Clayport, site of the gate in the city wall, removed 1791 – in Walkergate, on the corner of St Nicholas Church at start of pedestrian overpass to Claypath
    • Former Chapel of St Andrew, one of the chapels at the ends of the bridge in the 13th century; now a listed 17th century building – Elvet Bridge
    • Chapel Passage, entrance to a ‘discrete’ Catholic chapel before Catholic Emancipation which was replaced by St Cuthbert’s Church in 1827 – 33 Old Elvet (plaque missing as older building replaced by modern building for student accommodation (previously the University Catholic Chaplaincy now located in St Cuthbert’s Catholic Church, Old Elvet)
    • 57-59 Crossgate – winner of the City of Durham Trust Architectural Award for 2013