City of Durham Parish Council Plaques

  • Daisy Edis, the pioneering female photographer – 142 Gilesgate
  • Mary Gibson, Dora Heslop and Winifred Hindmarch, the three first female graduates of Durham University – Chapel, St. Hild and St. Bede’s College
  • Former site of Harrison & Harrison, organ builders – Harrison House, Hawthorn Terrace
  • The Market Hall, established in 1851 by an Act of Parliament, and one of very few privately owned markets in the UK – outside the Market Hall 
  • The Railway Cottages, part of the former Durham Elvet Railway Station – Green Lane
  • Neville House – original site of Neville’s Cross teacher training college (opened 1921), now part of the University’s Ustinov College (opened 2017)
  • 20 Allergate – On 24 Feb 1328 John de Hert and Adam Tanner, keepers of the light of St Margaret’s, Crossgate, granted this property to Robert and Agnes de Plauseworth. It was formerly held by William de Cravan.